The school operates through Curriculum Areas and Departments. Each individual Head of Department has a seat on the Academic Board of Urmston Grammar.
The curriculum areas are: English, Mathematics, Science (Biology, Chemistry, Physics), Modern Languages (French & German), Humanities (Geography, History, Politics, Religious Studies), PE, Drama, Music, Social Sciences (Psychology, Sociology), Business Studies, Economics, Art, Photography, Computing, Design & Technology and Food Preparation & Nutrition.
The curriculum is organised around the Key Stages of Learning:
- Key Stage 3, our Lower School: Years 7, 8 & 9. Most subjects are based on the National Curriculum.
- Key Stage 4, our Upper School: Years 10 & 11. Students are studying for GCSE qualifications.
- Key Stage 5, our Sixth Form: Years 12 & 13. Students are studying for Advanced level GCE qualifications. Students also have the opportunity for enrichment through the EPQ, Independent Learning Modules, short courses in a range of different subject areas, work experience and voluntary work.
The school timetable operates on a two week cycle consisting of 48 x 1 hour subject lessons, 2 x 1 hour lessons for Assembly and PSE.
Curriculum at KS3
Details about the KS3 Curriculum are available here: KS3 Curriculum Overview.
Curriculum at KS4
At KS4 all students study the following subjects:
- GCSE English Language
- GCSE English Literature
- GCSE Maths
- GCSE Combined Science (2 x GCSEs)
- GCSE French or German
- A Humanity (out of GCSE History, Geography or RS)
- Core PE
Each year approximately half our students opt to study Triple Science. These students can select ONE subject from our Options list. Those students who choose the Combined Science route may select TWO subject from our Options list.
- GCSE Art and Design
- GCSE Business Studies
- GCSE Computer Science
- GCSE Design & Technology
- GCSE Drama
- GCSE French
- GCSE Food Preparation and Nutrition
- GCSE Geography
- GCSE German
- GCSE History
- GCSE Music
- GCSE PE
- GCSE Photography
- GCSE RS
(Starting in September 2022 all Year 10 students will study GCSE Religious Studies, meaning students will typically leave Urmston Grammar with 10 GCSE qualifications.)
Details about the KS4 Curriculum are available here
Curriculum at KS5
The majority of students at KS5 choose to study 3 A levels, though some very capable students opt to study 4. The EPQ is also offered as an additional qualification.
For more information regarding the A Levels we offer and KS5 curriculum please visit the Sixth Form pages of our website here.
Details about the KS5 Curriculum are available here