All information is correct as at 18 October 2018
- All result letters for the current phase of this round of applications have now been posted.
- A successful outcome will be considered to have been achieved by those candidates who scored 334 and above in the tests or whose score was upgraded to 334R following a Local Review.
- Candidates with a score of 387 and above are currently in our Top 20; this figure may lower as the admissions process continues.
- The distance offered at 1st allocation on 1st March 2018 last year was 4.06618 miles, however if there is any movement this distance may increase throughout the admission process until the children start in September.
- The distance the previous year at 1st allocation on 1st March 2017 was 3.995407611 miles.
The distance can vary from year to year as each cohort is different and the allocation of school places very much depends on parental choices.
- A total of 2235 pupils took part in the Urmston Grammar entrance examination in September and several hundred pupils achieved the qualifying score of 334 and above. The average score for those pupils who qualified was 353.
- We are unable to email or give results out over the telephone. Should you not have received your result by Tuesday 23rd October please email email@example.com and we will arrange a time when you can collect them.
- Similarly, the school admissions’ personnel will not be able to engage in telephone conversations about any aspect of the process. Should you have any queries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will endeavour to respond within five working days.
Please see below the Oversubscription Criteria for the admission of children in September 2019
Where the number of eligible applicants for admissions exceeds the number of places available, the following criteria will be applied, in the order set out below, to decide which children to admit:
Entry Category A
Places are initially allocated to candidates who are “Looked after” children, or who were previously looked after, but immediately after being looked after became subject to an adoption, residence, or special guardianship order (as defined in the Education Act 2002 – Admissions) who meet the published academic requirements. This selection procedure is classed as Entry Category A.
Entry Category B – approximately 20 places
Using the first list (rank score order) of candidates, the (20) top scoring candidates, irrespective of home residence, will be allocated a place under Category B. Candidates with equal scores to the lowest candidate in this second allocation will also be offered places.
Entry Category C – approximately 10 places
Parents will have the opportunity to submit a Pupil Premium notification slip along with the Urmston Grammar supplementary form when candidates receive a positive outcome results letter. Ten places will be allocated to the highest performing candidates who qualify for Pupil Premium, irrespective of distance, and who did not qualify under Entry Categories A or B above. Candidates, on Pupil Premium, with equal scores to the lowest candidate in this third allocation will also be offered places.
Entry Category D
Children who achieve a pass in the entrance examination process and who have parents who are serving members of Urmston Grammar staff, and who have had a permanent contract at UGS for at least 8 continuous years will be offered a place.
Entry Category E – approximately 120 places
Upon removing the candidates who are allocated places via Entry Categories A, B, C and D, places in category E will be allocated in accordance with their distance from the school to their home address as per a straight line, firstly by M41 and M31 postcodes followed by the remaining candidates. This arrangement is listed as Category E. The address used will be the permanent address of where the child resides. For the home address, the distance will be calculated using property co-ordinates provided from Trafford’s Local Land and Property Gazetteer (BS7666) (Royal Mail Postal Address information may be used in some instances). In the case of a child living in a block of flats, co-ordinates will be obtained in the same way. The co-ordinates that will be used for the School are 376120, 394926.
Home Address: The address used will be the permanent address where the child normally lives, not a temporary address or the address of a carer or relative. In the case of parents who are separated and where child-care arrangements are shared between two addresses in the priority admission area, the average of the distances of the two address from the school will be used for the purposes of determining priority for admission.
Applicants who move into the priority admission area, after the date of registration, who submit an on-time application to their home Local Authority, including Urmston Grammar as a preference, will be given consideration from the address given on the original application made to the school, until after the first round of offers. Proof of residency will be requested.
Non-allocation of a place
The School will operate a waiting list for Year 7 admission in September. From September to December of Year 7, any vacancies must be filled from the waiting list in accordance with the over-subscription criteria detailed above. From January each year, any subsequent available places will be offered to the candidate performing at the highest level in a re-assessment process, the details for which are communicated prior to the re-assessment (of recently completed school work) being conducted. Applicants for in-year admission to Years 7 to 11 may join the waiting list of the relevant year group if a place is not available within the year group, providing they have a positive outcome to the Urmston Grammar Entrance requirements.