Welcome to a Sixth Form that:
- combines friendliness and a caring atmosphere with strong academic results
- prides itself on accepting the highest number of external students of any grammar school in Trafford
- constantly features as one of the top state schools in the country in the “A” Level league tables (Trafford being the top LEA nationally this year)
- has a low turnover of staff so that we have a wealth of “A” Level subject and examination expertise as well as tutors who really get to know you
- enables virtually all students who apply to university or college to receive offers of places
- provides a structured environment and a disciplined framework so that you have the opportunity to maximise your potential
- gives you plenty of chances to have fun and develop your personal skills through providing plenty of enrichment activities such as drama, music, charity work, foreign trips, theatre visits, orchestral work, work experience, Young Enterprise, Understanding Industry, First Aid and self-defence courses, community work, party nights as well as a magnificent Leavers' Prom.
What does the broader post-16 curriculum mean for students in Urmston Grammar School Sixth Form?
- In Year 12, all students take 4 subjects at the beginning of the year. Following form Jan Exams, the students then select which subject to drop; if a student is unsure, there is the opportunity to take a re-test in February after which students are expected to make their decision. Highly able students have the opportunity to continue with four subjects.In Year 13, all students take 3 of their A/S subjects forward to A2 level (dropping one of their 4 A/S subjects) as well as taking General Studies through to A2 level. It may also be possible to negotiate a combination of A/S and A2 level subjects.
In Year 13, all students take 3 or 4 A levels, as decided in Y12
You will need to have an estimated 2 'A' grades and 3 ‘B' grades in your G.C.S.E. subjects.
How large is the Sixth Form?
At present there are 250 Sixth Form students.
Above a quarter of the Sixth Form have entered Urmston Grammar from as twenty other schools within the Greater Manchester area as well as a growing number from much further afield such as London and even Kuwait.
There are approximately 155 Sixth Form places available in Year 12.
When is the Sixth Form Open Evening?
- This is to be held in November 2016 - details to follow.
There are 155 Sixth Form places available in Year 12.
You will need to have an estimated 2 'A' grades and 3 ‘B' grades or 2 'A' 3 'B' in your G.C.S.E. subjects.
Almost 30% of our lower 6th join us from local schools and are made very welcome from day minus one.
Our 6th Form facilities are extensive and the fitness suite offers free membership and the research centre will enable you to easily meet the wider reading needs of advanced level courses.
Application forms may be obtained on the website, by telephoning Mrs Plano at the school or emailing: email@example.com
Return your completed application form to your Form Tutor (Urmston Grammar students) or to Mrs. Plano (newcomers).